"Information Architects’ new Writer app brings that same hyperfocused aesthetic to word-processing."--WIRED
"The Perfect iPad Writing App"--Gizmodo
"Finally: The Writer for creative writing"--Fontblog
"If you like writing, see the excellent Writer from @iA… (If you don’t like writing, this may change your mind.)" -- Liz Danzico
"an intriguing app" -- Khoi Vinh
"as good as everyone is saying. I’ve so much writing to do on my trips, so £2.99 well spent." -- Simon Collison
"I’ve been using the beta for a while and it’s truly awesome." -- Vitor Lourenço
"‘Writer’ from @iA is a beautifully crafted application for the iPad. If you write, buy it." -- Mark Boulton
"perfection in every way." -- Beautiful Pixels
"Excellent work. Writing just got better" -- Aza Raskin
WHY WE BUILT IT
The key to good writing is not that magical glass of Bordeaux, the right kind of tobacco or that groovy background music. The key is focus.
Writer has no graphic settings or formatting features. It avoids all distracting glitz in the user interface and puts all the beauty in the shape of the text. It uses an interactive logic that helps you concentrate, find your orientation and express yourself. With Writer all your thought goes into what you write, not how your writing looks.
For the iPad version we also added Dropbox synchronization, punctuation and arrow keys.
HOW IT WORKS
1. FOCUS MODE creates a noise free writing space. No auto-correction, spelling errors, toolbars, scrolling, editing, cut/copy/paste to distract you moving forward in your text. Focus Mode blurs out everything except the latest three lines of text you were working in. The idea is to activate it when you get stuck, blinding out everything else.
2. GOOD TYPOGRAPHY is not just pretty to look at. It facilitates the process of reading. If you look at text as an interface, typography is its usability. Common text editors are typographically weak (small font, tight leading, random measure, lack of whitespace). In addition, few people have the professional skills to design digital text. In Writer, font type, text size, column width, leading and contrast are carefully set for the best reading experience both in portrait and landscape mode.
(Writer uses a monospaced font called Nitti Light created and optimized for iPad by the type wizards at Bold Monday. The font transports the provisory character of drafting and forces you to read slowly and precisely without being tedious to look at.)
3. READING TIME gives you an approximation of how long it will take to read your text. Cursor time shows you in minutes and seconds up to where the cursor is.
4. KEYBOARD EXTENSIONS provides arrow keys and punctuation. We disabled smart quotes to keep you focused on what you say and not how you type. The suggestion to get rid of smart quotes is not a nerd`s wish, it came from a grandmaster of type (Erik Spiekermann).
5. DROPBOX allows web synchronization of your documents from iPad to the cloud, seamlessly, so you don`t have to spend time syncing with iTunes.
CONCEPT & DESIGN: Oliver Reichenstein
CODE: Raphael Schaad
BETA TESTERS & CONTRIBUTORS: Erik Spiekermann, Scott Thomas, Khoi Vinh, Mike Rundle, Liz Danzico, Aza Raskin, Patrick Algrim, John Boardley, Paul van der Laan, Vitor Lourenço, Mark Boulton, Om Malik, Marcos Weskamp, Craig Mod, Joshua Brewer, Antonio Carusone, Aegir Hallmundur, Jürgen Siebert, Indra Kupferschmid, Alan van Roemburg, Paul Bakaus, Jean Snow, Alexander Limi, Matt Roberts, The Design Observer Group, Robin Sloan, Tina Roth Eisenberg, Guido Mingels, Wolfgang Blau, Stefan Seiz, Giovanni De Mauro, Stephan Seidt, Kari Pätilä, Moritz Zimmer, Edial Dekker, Daisuke Don Horie, Christian Steinert, Jay Nelson, Nobuyuki Hayashi, Matthew Solle, Paul Baron, Dan Oliver, Bodhi Philpot, Anatole Varin, Juho Viitasalo, Michael Donohoe, Ben Sekulowicz, Takeshi Tanaka, and the Legendary Shane Berry.
Special thanks to Yumiko and Akira.